- Early history of cancer
- Cancer in the sixteenth to eighteenth centuries
- Cancer in the nineteenth century
- Early theories about cancer causes
- Development of modern knowledge about cancer causes
- History of cancer epidemiology
- History of cancer screening and early detection
- Evolution of cancer treatments: Surgery
- Evolution of cancer treatments: Hormone therapy
- Evolution of cancer treatments: Radiation
- Evolution of cancer treatments: Chemotherapy
- Evolution of cancer treatments: Immunotherapy
- Evolution of cancer treatments: Targeted therapy
- Advancement of cancer survivorship
- Cancer in the twenty-first century
- To learn more about the history of cancer
To learn more about the history of cancer
The American Cancer Society can help you learn more about cancer. Contact us anytime, day or night, for cancer-related information and support. Call us at 1-800-227-2345 or visit us online at www.cancer.org.
Encyclopedia Britannica. See entries on Medicine, History of Cancer.
Lyons AS, Petrucelli RJ. Medicine: An Illustrated History. New York: Harry N. Abrams Publishers; 1978.
Shimkin MB. Contrary to Nature: Cancer. For sale by the Superintendent of Documents, US Printing Office, Washington D.C. 20401. DHEW Publication No (NIH) 76-720; 1976.
Mukherjee, S. The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer. New York: Scribner; 2010.
Last Medical Review: 06/12/2014
Last Revised: 06/12/2014