Genetic Testing: What You Need to Know
Here is some basic information about genetic testing and how it’s used to learn about inherited cancer risk. It will help you understand what genetic testing is, but it won’t give you specific information or advice on genetic testing for any one disease. A doctor or a genetic counselor who knows about the diseases in your family is better able to talk with you about your risks and what you might learn from genetic testing. Click on the topics below to get started.
- Genes, mutations, and cancer risk
- What is genetic testing?
- Who should have genetic testing?
- What are the benefits of genetic testing?
- What are the drawbacks of genetic testing?
- Who pays for genetic testing?
- What happens during genetic testing?
- What if genetic testing shows an increased cancer risk?
- How else might genetic information be used?
- What’s the future of genetic testing?
- To learn more