- Questions About Smoking, Tobacco, and Health
- Is smoking tobacco really addictive?
- Why do people start smoking?
- How many people use tobacco?
- What in tobacco smoke is harmful?
- Is secondhand (environmental) tobacco smoke dangerous?
- How does tobacco use affect the economy?
- What’s being done to protect people from the hazards of smoking?
- Are spit tobacco and snuff safe alternatives to smoking?
- What are the health risks of smoking pipes or cigars?
- What about electronic cigarettes? Aren’t they safe?
- Is dissolvable tobacco safe?
- What about more exotic forms of smoking tobacco, such as clove cigarettes, bidis, and hookahs?
- What can I do to help with any damage that may have been caused by smoking?
- Can quitting really help a lifelong smoker?
- How do people quit tobacco?
- To learn more
Questions About Smoking, Tobacco, and Health
People have all sorts of questions about cigarettes, cigars, spit and other types of smokeless tobacco, different tobacco products, nicotine, addiction, and quitting. Many of these questions are answered here.
We also answer some questions about how smoking and tobacco can affect a person’s health, including the heart, circulation, and lungs. We discuss its effect on unborn babies and how it affects the risk of cancer and other diseases.
Please see the “To learn more” section to see other tobacco-related subjects we cover in more detail in separate documents.
Last Medical Review: 11/08/2012
Last Revised: 07/08/2013