What should you ask the doctor about Ewing tumors?
It’s important to have frank, open discussions with your cancer care team. They want to answer all of your questions, no matter how minor they might seem. For instance, consider these questions:
- What kind of Ewing tumor do I (does my child) have?
- Has the cancer spread beyond the main (primary) site?
- What is the stage of the cancer and what does that mean?
- Will we need other tests before we can decide on treatment?
- How much experience do you have treating this type of cancer?
- Will I (we) need to see other doctors?
- What are our treatment options?
- What do you recommend and why?
- How soon do we need to start treatment?
- What should I (we) do to be ready for treatment?
- How long will treatment last? What will it be like? Where will it be done?
- How will treatment affect our daily lives?
- What are the risks and side effects of the suggested treatments?
- Which side effects start shortly after treatment and which ones might develop later on?
- Will treatment affect my child’s ability to grow and develop?
- Will treatment affect my child’s future ability to have children?
- What are the chances of the cancer coming back after treatment? What will we do if this happens?
- What type of follow up and rehab will be needed after treatment?
- Are there nearby support groups or other families who have been through this that we could talk to?
Along with these sample questions, be sure to write down some of your own. For instance, you might want more information about recovery times so that you can plan your work or school schedules. Or you may want to ask about second opinions or about available clinical trials.
Also keep in mind that doctors are not the only ones who can provide you with information. Other health care professionals, such as nurses and social workers, may have the answers to some of your questions. You can find out more about speaking with your health care team in Talking With Your Doctor.
Last Medical Review: 09/18/2014
Last Revised: 02/04/2016