- How is gallbladder cancer treated?
- Surgery for gallbladder cancer
- Radiation therapy for gallbladder cancer
- Chemotherapy for gallbladder cancer
- Palliative therapy for gallbladder cancer
- Clinical trials for gallbladder cancer
- Complementary and alternative therapies for gallbladder cancer
- Treatment options based on the extent of gallbladder cancer
- More treatment information about gallbladder cancer
How is gallbladder cancer treated?
General treatment information
- A surgeon or a surgical oncologist (a surgeon who specializes in cancer treatment)
- A radiation oncologist: a doctor who uses radiation to treat cancer
- A medical oncologist: a doctor who uses chemotherapy and other medicines to treat cancer
- A gastroenterologist (GI doctor): a doctor who treats diseases of the digestive system
Many other specialists might be part of your treatment team as well, including physician assistants (PAs), nurse practitioners (NPs), nurses, psychologists, social workers, rehabilitation specialists, and other health professionals. See Health Professionals Associated With Cancer Care for more on this.
It’s important to discuss all of your treatment options, including their goals and possible side effects, with your doctors to help make the decision that best fits your needs. It’s also very important to ask questions if there is anything you’re not sure about. You can find some good questions to ask in the section “What should you ask your doctor about gallbladder cancer?”
Take time to think about your choices. In choosing a treatment plan, factors to consider include the stage of the cancer, the possible side effects of treatment, your overall health, and the chances of curing the disease, extending life, or relieving symptoms. The main types of treatments for gallbladder cancer include:
If time allows, it is often a good idea to seek a second opinion, particularly for an uncommon cancer such as gallbladder cancer. A second opinion can provide more information and help you feel more confident about your chosen treatment plan.
The next few sections describe the different types of treatment for gallbladder cancer. This is followed by a discussion of the most common treatments for gallbladder cancer by stage.
Last Medical Review: 10/29/2014
Last Revised: 01/13/2015