What should you ask your doctor about gastrointestinal carcinoid tumors?
It is important to have honest, open discussions with your cancer care team. They want to answer all of your questions, no matter how trivial you might think they are. For instance, consider these questions:
- What kind of carcinoid tumor/cancer do I have?
- What is the stage of my carcinoid tumor/cancer and what does that mean to me?
- What are my treatment choices?
- What do you recommend and why?
- Based on what you've learned about my tumor/cancer, what is my prognosis (outlook)?
- What risks or side effects are there to the treatments you suggest?
- How will treatment affect my daily activities?
- What are the chances my tumor/cancer will recur with these treatments?
- What should I do to be ready for treatment?
In addition to these sample questions, you might write down some of your own. For instance, you might want more information about recovery times so you can plan your work schedule. Or you might want to ask about second opinions or if you qualify for any clinical trials.
Last Medical Review: 12/31/2013
Last Revised: 12/31/2013