What are some questions I can ask the doctor about Hodgkin disease?
As you cope with Hodgkin disease and treatment, you need to have honest, open talks with your doctor. Feel free to ask any question, no matter how small it might seem. Here are some questions you might want to ask. Be sure to add your own questions as you think of them.
- What type of Hodgkin disease is it?
- What is the stage (extent) of the cancer? What does this mean?
- What tests need to be done before we can decide on treatment?
- Will I (we) need to see other doctors?
- How much experience do you have treating Hodgkin disease?
- Should we get a second opinion before starting treatment? Can you suggest someone?
- What are our treatment choices?
- What do you suggest and why?
- Does one type of treatment reduce the risk of Hodgkin disease coming back more than another?
- What short-term side effects might there be from the treatment? What can be done about these side effects?
- What are the possible long-term side effects?
- Will the treatment affect my (my child’s) ability to have children? Can we do anything about this?
- How soon do we need to start treatment?
- What should I do to be ready (or get my child ready) for treatment?
- How long will treatment last? What will it be like? Where will it be done?
- How long will it take to recover from treatment?
- How will treatment affect my (or my child’s) daily activities?
- What are the chances that the cancer will come back after treatment? What should we look out for?
- What would we do if the treatment doesn’t work or if the lymphoma comes back?
- What type of follow-up will be needed after treatment?
Be sure to write your questions down so you remember to ask them during visits with your cancer care team. Also keep in mind that other health care experts, such as nurses and social workers, may be able to answer to some of your questions. You can find out more about speaking with your health care team in our document Talking With Your Doctor.
Last Medical Review: 08/19/2014
Last Revised: 01/13/2015