- How is multiple myeloma treated?
- Chemotherapy and other drugs for multiple myeloma
- Bisphosphonates for multiple myeloma
- Radiation therapy for multiple myeloma
- Surgery for multiple myeloma
- Stem cell transplant for multiple myeloma
- Supportive treatments for patients with multiple myeloma
- Treatment options for multiple myeloma, by stage
Surgery for multiple myeloma
Although surgery is sometimes used to remove single plasmacytomas, it’s rarely used to treat multiple myeloma. When spinal cord compression causes paralysis, severe muscle weakness, or numbness, emergency surgery may be needed. Non-emergency (elective) surgery to attach metal rods or plates can help support weakened bones and may be needed to prevent or treat fractures.
Last Medical Review: 05/22/2014
Last Revised: 01/19/2016