What are some questions I can ask my doctor about multiple myeloma?
As you cope with cancer and cancer treatment, we encourage you to have honest, open talks with your doctor. Feel free to ask any question that’s on your mind, no matter how small it might seem. Here are some questions you might want to ask. Be sure to add your own questions as you think of them. Nurses, social workers, and other members of the treatment team may also be able to answer many of your questions.
- Would you please write down the exact type of cancer I have?
- What is the stage of my cancer? What does the stage mean in my case?
- What treatment choices do I have?
- What do you suggest and why?
- What is the goal of my treatment?
- What risks or side effects that I should expect?
- How long will it take me to recover from treatment?
- When can I go back to work or other activities after treatment?
- What are the chances of the cancer coming back after treatment?
- Does one type of treatment reduce the risk of the cancer coming back more than another?
- What should I do to be ready for treatment?
- Based on what you've learned about my cancer, how long do you think I'll survive?
- Should I get a second opinion?
Last Medical Review: 05/22/2014
Last Revised: 01/19/2016