Can nasal cavity and paranasal sinus cancers be prevented?
Not all nasal cavity and paranasal sinus cancers can be prevented, but the risk of developing these cancers can be greatly reduced by avoiding certain risk factors, such as workplace exposures to certain substances. Fortunately, awareness of the possible danger from these exposures has increased, and workplace safety measures to help protect people from them have improved. Still, if you are working with any of the substances listed in the section “What are the risk factors for nasal cavity and paranasal sinus cancers?,” it’s important for you to find out if you are being protected from harmful exposure.
Cigarette smoking is another avoidable risk factor for cancers of the nasal cavity and sinuses.
Most people with cancer of the nasal cavity and paranasal sinuses have no known risk factors, so there is currently no way to prevent most of these cancers.
Last Medical Review: 04/22/2014
Last Revised: 03/02/2015
- What Is Nasal Cavity and Paranasal Sinus Cancer?
- Causes, Risk Factors, and Prevention
- Early Detection, Diagnosis, and Staging
- Treating Nasal Cavity and Paranasal Sinus Cancer
- Talking With Your Doctor
- After Treatment
- What`s New in Nasal Cavity and Paranasal Sinus Cancer Research?
- Other Resources and References