- How is ovarian cancer treated?
- Surgery for ovarian cancer
- Chemotherapy for ovarian cancer
- Targeted therapy for ovarian cancer
- Hormone therapy for ovarian cancer
- Radiation therapy for ovarian cancer
- Ovarian cancer clinical trials
- Ovarian cancer complementary and alternative therapies
- Treatment of invasive epithelial ovarian cancers, by stage
- Treatment for epithelial tumors of low malignant potential
- Treatment for germ cell tumors of the ovary
- Treatment for stromal tumors of the ovary, by stage
- More ovarian cancer treatment information
How is ovarian cancer treated?
General treatment information
After the diagnostic tests are done, your cancer care team will recommend 1 or more treatment options. The main treatments for ovarian cancer are:
Often, 2 or more different types of treatments are used.
Consider the options without feeling rushed. If there is anything you don’t understand, ask to have it explained. The choice of treatment depends largely on the type of cancer and the stage of the disease., The exact stage may not be known in patients who did not have surgery as their first treatment. Treatment then is based on other available information.
Other factors that could play a part in choosing the best treatment plan might include your general state of health, whether you plan to have children, and other personal considerations. Age alone isn’t a determining factor since several studies have shown that older women tolerate ovarian cancer treatments well. Be sure you understand all the risks and side effects of the various therapies before making a decision about treatment.
Last Medical Review: 08/05/2014
Last Revised: 08/11/2014