- How is ovarian cancer treated?
- Surgery for ovarian cancer
- Chemotherapy for ovarian cancer
- Targeted therapy for ovarian cancer
- Hormone therapy for ovarian cancer
- Radiation therapy for ovarian cancer
- Approach to treatment of ovarian cancer
- Clinical trials for ovarian cancer
- Complementary and alternative therapies for ovarian cancer
How is ovarian cancer treated?
After the tests are done, your doctor will suggest one or more choices for treatment. Think about these without feeling rushed. If there is anything you don’t understand, ask to have it explained. The choice of treatment depends largely on the type of cancer and the stage of the disease. If you have not had surgery yet, the exact stage may not be known. In that case, treatment is based on what is known.
Other factors that could play a part in choosing the best treatment plan might include your general state of health, whether you plan to have children, and other things that are important to you. Be sure you understand all the risks and side effects of different treatments before you make a decision.
The main treatments for ovarian cancer are:
Often, 2 or more different types of treatments are used.
Last Medical Review: 04/22/2013
Last Revised: 02/06/2014