- How is small intestine adenocarcinoma treated?
- Surgery for small intestine adenocarcinoma
- Chemotherapy for small intestine adenocarcinoma
- Radiation therapy for small intestine adenocarcinoma
- Clinical trials for small intestine adenocarcinoma
- Complementary and alternative therapies for small intestine adenocarcinoma
- Treatment choices for small intestine adenocarcinoma, based on tumor spread
- More treatment information for small intestine adenocarcinoma
How is small intestine adenocarcinoma treated?
General treatment information
Depending on the type and stage of your cancer, you may need more than one type of treatment. Doctors on your cancer treatment team may include:
- A surgeon: a doctor who uses surgery to treat cancers or other problems
- A surgical oncologist: a doctor who treats cancer with surgery
- A radiation oncologist: a doctor who uses radiation to treat cancer
- A medical oncologist: a doctor who uses chemotherapy and other medicines to treat cancer
- A gastroenterologist: a doctor that specializes in diseases and problems of the digestive tract
Many other specialists may be involved in your care as well, including nurse practitioners, nurses, psychologists, social workers, rehabilitation specialists, and other health professionals.
After the small intestine cancer is found and staged, the cancer care team will suggest one or more treatment plans. Choosing a treatment plan is an important decision. It is also important for you to take time and think about all of your choices.
The main types of treatment used for small intestine adenocarcinoma are:
The main factors in selecting treatment options for small intestine adenocarcinoma are the size and location of the tumor, whether it has spread to lymph nodes, liver, bones, or other organs, whether there are any other serious medical conditions, and whether the tumor is causing bothersome symptoms. It’s often a good idea to get a second opinion. A second opinion may give you more information and help you feel more confident about the treatment plan chosen.
The next few sections describe the different types of treatment for small intestine adneocarcinoma. This is followed by a discussion of the most common treatment options based on the extent of the cancer.
Last Medical Review: 04/30/2014
Last Revised: 01/09/2015