What should you ask your doctor about Waldenstrom macroglobulinemia?
As you deal with Waldenstrom macroglobulinemia (WM) and the process of treatment, you need to have frank, open discussions with your cancer care team. You should ask any question that’s on your mind. Among the questions you might want to ask are:
- How sure are you about my diagnosis?
- Are there any other tests that need to be done?
- Are there other doctors I need to see?
- How much experience do you have treating this disease?
- Should I get a second opinion? Can you suggest someone?
- What treatment options do I have?
- Are there clinical trials I should consider?
- Do you recommend starting treatment now or waiting until later on?
- What is the goal of treatment (to reduce symptoms, lower IgM levels, etc.)?
- Which drugs do you recommend? How would you compare their effectiveness and side effects to others?
- Is a stem cell transplant an option in my situation? What would be the pros and cons of this treatment?
- What side effects can I expect from my treatment?
- What should I do to be ready for treatment?
- How long will treatment last? What will it involve? Where will it be done?
- How long will it take me to recover from treatment?
- When can I go back to work or resume other activities after treatment?
- What are the chances that my cancer will come back after treatment?
- What would we do if the treatment doesn’t work or if the cancer recurs?
- What is my outlook for survival?
- What type of follow-up is needed after treatment?
You will no doubt have other questions about your personal situation. Be sure and write your questions down so you remember to ask them during each visit with your cancer care team. Keep in mind, too, that doctors are not the only ones who can provide you with information. Other health care professionals, such as nurses and social workers, may have the answers you seek. You can find more information about communicating with your health care team in our document Talking With Your Doctor.
Last Medical Review: 06/19/2013
Last Revised: 06/19/2013