Crunchy Green Beans with Caramelized Onions
The red onion and imitation bacon bits offer a hint of cherry-red color in this delicious vegetable side dish.
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 pounds fresh green beans, washed and trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 4 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons imitation (soy) bacon bits
- Heat olive oil in medium skillet. Add onion and sauté until golden brown (caramelized), stirring frequently, about 25 minutes. Set aside.
- Steam green beans in steamer until crisp-tender, approximately 10 minutes.
- Add green beans and garlic salt to skillet and mix with onions.
- Drizzle with vinegar and sprinkle with bacon bits. Serve warm or cold.
No more tears with onions: To avoid teary eyes, peel onions under cold water. The water rinses away the volatile sulfur that causes teary eyes. You may also freeze the onion for 20 minutes before chopping.
Per Serving (approximate)
Calories 80 Total Fat 2.5 g