Asian Beef Salad
Get to know the ingredients in the international foods aisle of your supermarket. You can have a culinary world tour without leaving your backyard. The chili paste (also known as Sambal Oelek) used in this recipe provides just enough heat to make things interesting. This spicy salad can also be made with chicken or shrimp.
Prep time: 15 minutes or less
Total time: 30 minutes or less
- 1 pound sirloin steak, trimmed of excess fat
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon chili paste, chili and garlic sauce, or crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, quartered lengthwise, and thinly sliced
- ¼ red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped roasted peanuts
- Preheat a lightly oiled grill to medium-high.
- Grill steak for 7 to 10 minutes per side for medium-rare. Remove from grill and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing into thin strips.
- Meanwhile, in a serving bowl, combine lime juice, fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar, and chili paste.
- Add steak and toss to coat. Add cucumber, onion, tomatoes, cilantro, mint, and scallions and gently toss to combine. Sprinkle with peanuts.
|Calories from Fat||65|
|Total Fat||7.0 g|
|Saturated Fat||2.0 g|
|Trans Fat||0.1 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.9 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||2.8 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|