Crunchy “Oven-Fried” Chicken Nuggets
Kids and adults will love this healthful rendition of chicken nuggets. The coating adds a big crunch and keeps the meat tender and moist. Who knew nuggets could be so good . . . and good for you!
Line your baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper to speed cleanup.
Prep time: 15 minutes or less
Total time: 30 minutes or less
- 10 classic or whole grain Melba toasts (2 pouches)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2-inch "nuggets"
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place a cooling rack on a rimmed baking sheet.
- In a food processor, pulse the Melba toast until pieces are about ⅛ inch in size, with some smaller and larger pieces. Don't overprocess. Add oil and pulse once or twice, or until crumbs are just moistened. (You can also use a rolling pin or a meat mallet to crush the toasts by hand in a zip-top bag. Then mix the oil and crumbs together in a bowl.) Transfer crumbs to a plate.
- In a bowl, beat egg. Add mustard, oregano, salt, and garlic powder and beat to combine. Dip chicken in egg mixture, then in crumbs, pressing to coat all sides of the meat. Place on the rack.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until cooked through.
|Calories from Fat||70|
|Total Fat||8.0 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||2.0 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||3.6 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||10 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|