- What do I need to know about quitting?
- Why should I quit?
- When smokers quit — what are the benefits over time?
- Immediate rewards of quitting
- Social acceptance
- Health of others
- Setting an example
- Help with the mental part of addiction
- Help with the physical part of addiction
- What are the types of nicotine replacement therapy?
- Prescription drugs
- Other methods of quitting
- A word about quitting success rates
- How to quit
- Some special concerns
- To learn more
Setting an example
If you have children, you probably want to set a good example for them. When asked, nearly all smokers say they don’t want their children to smoke. But children whose parents smoke are more likely to start smoking themselves. You can become a better role model for them by quitting now.
Last Medical Review: 10/04/2012
Last Revised: 09/09/2013