Families R.O.C.K. Weekend
Volunteer Job Description | Children's Team Volunteer
Must enjoy children. Experience with special needs children a plus. Candidates should be attentive, sensitive to children's needs and able to maintain a positive, upbeat attitude.
Children’s team volunteers are assigned to a group of 10 - 12 children of similar age. Some children on their team will have cancer and others will be siblings of young cancer patients. Teams will have an approximate ratio of 1 adult for every 2 - 3 children.
Children's team volunteers must:
- Pass a criminal clearance check prior to the event.
- Be aware of the location of the children on their team at all times. Acquaint themselves with the layout of the hotel and become familiar with the schedule developed for their team color group.
- Escort their team of children to pre-planned sessions and fun activities at the hotel throughout the day.
- Encourage children to participate in their team’s activities and to have a fun and enjoyable experience.
- Stay with their team starting with the children’s general session in the morning until the last session Saturday afternoon when the parents pick up their children. They will stay with their team during lunch.
All children’s team volunteers should attend the volunteer orientation lunch immediately prior to the start of Families R.O.C.K. Weekend.
If you are interested in volunteering for this program, please contact Susan Lee, Director of Childhood Cancer Programs, American Cancer Society, Florida Division, Inc., 3709 West Jetton Ave., Tampa, FL 33629, (813) 253-0541, ext. 4405.
Other Volunteer Opportunities in Your Community
Many volunteer opportunities are available in your area. To find out how you can get involved, call 1-800-227-2345.