Volunteers Needed for Historic Cancer Prevention Study
This is your chance to help us make cancer history!
Volunteers are needed to participate in and recruit others to take part in the American Cancer Society Cancer Prevention Study-3, which will take place at various locations in Massachusetts and Connecticut in 2013, including Relay For Life events in Massachusetts and seven Relay For Life events in Connecticut. Enrollment at Relays does not require prior registration or even that you be a registered Relay participant. Simply show up and look for the CPS-3 tent! All other sites do require that you register in advance.
This landmark nationwide study is enrolling a diverse population of 300,000 in 35 states. It will help researchers better understand the lifestyle, environmental, and genetic factors that cause or prevent cancer, and will advance efforts to eliminate cancer as a major health concern for future generations.
THE REQUIREMENTS: Participants must be between the ages of 30 and 65, must never have been diagnosed with cancer (except for squamous or basal cell skin cancers), and must be willing to make a long-term commitment to the study by completing follow-up surveys at home every two years. To enroll in the study, individuals will be asked to complete a brief written survey, provide a waist measurement, and give a small blood sample at the enrollment site, in addition to completing a baseline survey at their home.
Results from previous American Cancer Society long-term follow-up studies have demonstrated the links between cigarette smoking and lung cancer, aspirin use and reduced risk of colon cancer, postmenopausal hormone replacement therapy and various gynecologic cancers (such as breast and ovarian cancer), and physical activity and lower risk of various cancers.
For more information about CPS-3 and how to volunteer, please visit www.cancer.org/cps3 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or call toll-free 1.888.604.5888.
More enrollment sites will be added, so please continue to check back.
- UMass Memorial Medical Center – University Campus, ACC Building - Conquering Disease Suite, 55 Lake Avenue North, 01655; Wednesday, June 19, 11:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. - Register now!
- UMass Memorial Medical Center - University Campus, Medical School - New Medical School Lobby, 55 Lake Avenue North, 01655; Wednesday, June 19, 11:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. - Register now!
Relay For Life Enrollment Sites in Massachusetts in 2013
There is need to enroll prior to the event or even be a registered Relay participant. Simply show up at the Relay and look for the CPS-3 tent.
Fall River - Friday, June 21, 5:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m., Bishop Connolly High School
Franklin - Friday, June 14, 6:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m., Tri-County Regional High School, 218 Oak St.
Hampshire County - Friday, June 14, 4:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m., Look Memorial Park, 300 North Main St., Florence
Haverhill - Friday, June 14, 5:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m., Northern Essex Community College, 100 Elliott St.
Quincy - Friday, June 21, 6:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m., Pageant Field, Vietnam Veterans Drive
Taunton - Friday, June 21, 5:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m. - Bristol-Plymouth Regional Technical School, 940 County St.
Winchester - Saturday, June 22, 5:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m., Skillings Field
- New Canaan, YMCA, 1st floor, 564 South Ave.; Tuesday, June 18, 8:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. - Register now!
- American Cancer Society Regional Center, C. Anthony and Jean Whittingham Family Building, 2nd floor conference room, 38 Richards Ave. 06854; Wednesday, June 19, 3:00 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. - Register now!
- Stamford Government Center Lobby, 888 Washington Blvd., 06901; Tuesday, June 18, 12:00 noon - 3:30 p.m. - Register now!
- Stamford Hospital, Main Campus, Conference Room A, 30 Shelburne Rd 06902; Thursday, June 20, 4:00 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. - Register now!
- Tully Health Center Lobby, 32 Strawberry Hill Court 06902; Friday, June 21, 2:00 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. - Register now!
Relay For Life Enrollment Sites in Connecticut in 2013 - Learn more.
Milford - Saturday, Sept. 7, Time 4:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m., Jonathan Law High School, 20 Landsdale Ave., Milford 06460
New London County - Saturday, June 8, 4:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m., Connecticut College, 270 Mohegan Ave., New London
North Central Connecticut - Saturday, June 8, 12 noon - 4:00 p.m., Suffield Middle School, 350 Mountain Road, Suffield
Northwest Hills - Saturday, June 22, 3:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m., Torrington High School, 50 Major Besse Drive, Torrington
Ridgefield - Friday, June 14, 6:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m., Park and Recreation Center, 195 Danbury Road (Rt 35) Ridgefield 06877
Read an update on our enrollment efforts.