Pennsylvania Volunteer Honored with St. George National Award
Samuel Monismith, D.Ed., associate professor of health education at the Pennsylvania State University and chairman of the Pennsylvania Division Board of Directors, is one of twenty-seven esteemed American Cancer Society volunteers who received the Society’s St. George National Award for distinguished service to their community in support of the Society’s mission of saving lives from cancer. The inspirational individuals received these awards on the basis of long years of service, and their dedicated work in areas such as fundraising, mission delivery, patient support and advocacy. Since the award was conceived in 1949 by Dr. Charles S. Cameron, former Society medical and scientific director, the St. George National Award has been awarded annually to Society volunteers nationwide who work to create a world with less cancer and more birthdays.
A long-time American Cancer Society volunteer, Dr. Monismith has been involved in the Society’s access to care initiatives on the state and national level. He has testified before the Pennsylvania House and Senate to support legislative issues important to the American Cancer Society, including the State Tobacco Settlement, Clean Indoor Air, and Colorectal Cancer Screening. As a representative of the Tri-Agency Council (the American Cancer Society, American Heart Association, and American Lung Assocation), Dr. Monismith was a leader and advocate in directing tobacco settlement funds to promote the health of Pennsylvanians. Dr. Monismith also served as a program committee member for a cancer congress that focused on the needs of recovering cancer patients and has implemented numerous wellness initiatives at worksites in central Pennsylvania.
In addition to Dr. Monismith, the Society also honored:
- Kaz Iwamoto of Oxnard, Calif.
- Stephanie Lane of Atherton, Calif
- Christy A. Russell, MD of Altadena, Calif.
- Arnold M. Baskies, MD, FACS of Cherry Hill, N.J
- Clare B. Bradley, MD, MPH of Lake Success, N.Y
- Sandra Cassese, MSN, RN, CNS of Poughkeepsie, N.Y.
- Ann Mau of Brooksville, Fla.
- James E. Montie, MD of Ann Arbor, Mich.
- Pat Flynn of Tacoma, Wash.
- Ronald R. Hecht, CPA of Billings, Mont.
- Frank Nolimal of Las Vegas
- Charlotte Burke, MSRD. of Lincoln, Neb.
- Allen H. Henderson, PhD of Arlington, Texas
- Virginia Pressler, MD of Honolulu, Hawaii
- Ermilo Barrera, Jr., MD of South Barrington, Ill.
- Sue Catchings of Baton Rouge, La.
- Grant Vosburgh of Pulaski, Tenn
- Richard L. Bohy of Sioux Falls, S.D
- Frederick J. Wenzel, MBA., FACMPE of Monona, Wis
- Gary Fialky of Springfield, Mass.
- Peter Labombarde of Bedford, N.H.
- Bee Tabakin of Shelburne, Vt.
- Herbert E. Croft, MD of Akron, Ohio
- Robert W. Willman of Springfield, Ohio
- Elmer Huerta, MD of Washington, D.C.
- Cynthia F. Soltis of Woodstock, Va.