Cancer Facts & Figures 2010
The 2010 edition of Cancer Facts & Figures provides the estimated numbers of new cancer cases and deaths in 2010 as well as cancer incidence, mortality, and survival statistics and information on cancer symptoms, risk factors, early detection, and treatment. About 1,529,560 new cancer cases were expected to be diagnosed in 2010, and in 2010 about 569,490 Americans were projected to die of cancer, more than 1,500 people a day.
The topic of this year's special section is prostate cancer.
The topic of the special section of Cancer Facts & Figures 2010 is prostate cancer, the most commonly diagnosed cancer among men in the US and the second most common cause of cancer death among men. It is estimated that about 1 in 6 men in the US will be diagnosed with prostate cancer during their lifetime. Despite the important burden of prostate cancer cases and deaths, and extensive research on its causes, prevention, early detection, and treatment, many uncertainties remain about this cancer. This Special Section contains information regarding what we know about prostate cancer, what we don’t know, and the research that has been done to try to answer these questions.
Cancer Facts & Figures 2010 Supplemental Data
The Supplemental Data expands on the data provided in Cancer Facts & Figures by providing additional statistics by state and age group. This data can be used as a resource for cancer control planning, as well as to address questions from media or constituents about new cancer diagnoses and deaths. Divisions are encouraged to share this information with staff and volunteers, and to use it with state and local officials, the media, and other public health and advocacy groups in local communities.
Most Requested Tables and Figures
The most requested tables and figures from Cancer Facts & Figures 2010 have been assembled in an electronic format (PDF) to make it easy for you to use them. Please note all graphic material should credit the American Cancer Society, Cancer Facts & Figures 2010.
- Age-Adjusted Cancer Death Rates, Males by Site, US, 1930-2006 (PDF)
- Age-Adjusted Cancer Death Rates, Females by Site, US, 1930-2006 (PDF)
- Estimated New Cancer Cases and Deaths by Sex, US, 2010 (PDF)
- Estimated New Cancer Cases for Selected Cancer Sites by State, US, 2010 (PDF)
- Estimated Cancer Deaths for Selected Cancer Sites by State, US, 2010 (PDF)
- Leading Sites of New Cancer Cases and Deaths—2010 Estimates (PDF)
- Probability of Developing Invasive Cancers Over Selected Age Intervals, by Sex, US, 2004-2006 (PDF)
- Cancer Incidence and Mortality Rates by Site, Race, and Ethnicity, US, 2002-2006 (PDF)
Cancer Statistics 2010 Slide Presentation
A presentation from the American Cancer Society reporting the estimated numbers of cancer cases and deaths in 2010 as well as current cancer incidence, mortality, and survival statistics and information on cancer symptoms, risk factors, early detection, and treatment.