Cancer Facts & Figures 2012
The 2012 edition of Cancer Facts & Figures provides the estimated numbers of new cancer cases and deaths in 2012 as well as cancer incidence, mortality, and survival statistics and information on cancer symptoms, risk factors, early detection, and treatment. About 1,638,910 new cancer cases were expected to be diagnosed in 2012, and in 2012 about 577,190 Americans were projected to die of cancer, more than 1,500 people a day.
The topic of this year's special section is cancers with increasing incidence rates.
The topic of the special section of Cancer Facts & Figures 2012 is cancers with increasing incidence rates. Despite improvements in incidence trends for the major cancer sites, incidence rates for several cancers are increasing, including: HPV-related oropharyngeal cancer; esophageal adenocarcinoma; melanoma of the skin; and cancers of the pancreas, liver and intrahepatic bile duct, thyroid, and kidney and renal pelvis. The causes of these increasing incidence trends are unclear, but may reflect the combined effects of changes in cancer risk factors and detection practices.
Cancer Facts & Figures 2012 Supplemental Data
This supplemental data set provides the estimated numbers of new cancer cases and deaths in 2012 by state for 20 cancer sites and by age group for the four major sites (lung, breast, colorectum, and prostate). Also included is the lifetime probability of developing and dying from cancer for 23 cancer types and the estimated number of cancer survivors who were diagnosed within the past 5 years by state. This data can be used as a resource for cancer control planning at the state level, as well as to address questions from the media or constituents. Divisions are encouraged to share this information with staff and volunteers, and to use it with state and local officials, reporters, and other public health and advocacy groups in local communities.
- Estimated 2012 New Cancer Cases by Site, Sex, & Age Group (PDF)
- Estimated 2012 Cancer Deaths by Site, Sex, & Age Group (PDF)
- Estimated 2012 Cancer Cases & Deaths by State for 20 Cancer Sites (PDF)
- Estimated 1-5 Year Cancer Survivors by State in 2012 (PDF)
- Lifetime Probability of Developing & Dying from Cancer for 23 Sites (PDF)
Most Requested Tables and Figures
The most requested tables and figures from Cancer Facts & Figures 2012 have been assembled in an electronic format (PDF) to make it easy for you to use them. Please note that all graphic material should credit the American Cancer Society, Cancer Facts & Figures 2012.
- Age-adjusted Cancer Death Rates, Males by Site, US, 1930-2008 (PDF)
- Age-adjusted Cancer Death Rates, Females by Site, US, 1930-2008 (PDF)
- Estimated New Cancer Cases and Deaths by Sex, US, 2012 (PDF)
- Estimated Numbers of New Cases for Selected Cancers by State, US, 2012 (PDF)
- Estimated Numbers of Deaths for Selected Cancers by State, US, 2012 (PDF)
- Leading New Cancer Cases and Deaths - 2012 Estimates (PDF)
- Probability of Developing Invasive Cancers Over Selected Age Intervals, US, 2006-2008 (PDF)
- Cancer Incidence and Death Rates by Site, Race, and Ethnicity, US, 2004-2008 (PDF)
- Geographic Patterns in Lung Cancer Death Rates by State, US, 2004-2008 (PDF)
Cancer Statistics 2012 Slide Presentation
A presentation from the American Cancer Society reporting the estimated numbers of cancer cases and deaths in 2012 as well as current cancer incidence, mortality, and survival statistics and information on risk factors and early detection.