American Cancer Society // Infographics // 2013 // 02

Rising Global Cancer Epidemic

Every year, nearly 8 million people worldwide die from cancer. Many of these deaths can be avoided with increased governmental support and funding for prevention, detection, and treatment programs. Urgent action is needed to raise awareness about cancer, dispel myths and misconceptions, and develop practical strategies to address the disease.

The Global Burden

Annual Deaths

In 2010, 65% of all deaths worldwide were due to noncommunicable diseases (NCDs) like heart disease, lung disease, diabetes and cancer. 15% of all deaths worldwide, nearly 8 million people, were due to cancer alone. The number of deaths worldwide from cancer dwarfs the number of global deaths from malaria and HIV/AIDS, as is projected to exceed 13 million by 2030.

New Cases & Their Cost

In 2010, new cases of cancer totaled 13.2 million, costing $290 billion worldwide. These numbers are projected to rise to $22.2 million new cancer cases in 2030. That’s comparable to every person in Australia getting cancer every year. Projected cancer-related health care costs skyrocket to $458 billion and costs to implement strategies to address common cancer risk factors in low- to middle-income countries will likely reach $2 billion per year by 2030.

Burden On The Developing World

New Cancer Cases

In 2008, there were 6.7 million new cancer cases in developed countries compared to 6 million new cancer cases in developing countries. The number of new cases in developing countries is predicted to rise to 10.7 million by 2030.

Inequities In Pain Treatment

90% of the morphine used globally, is administered in Australia, New Zealand, Canada, the United States and some European countries alone, leaving just 10% for the rest of the world.

Statistics show that 99% of cancer patients in developing countries are dying with untreated pain.

Advocate For Global Change

Insufficient Funding Despite Data

In 2009, the Development Assistance for Health was $23.9 billion, yet only 1.1% of that amount, or 268 million, was allocated for NCDs.

Spread The Word

To help raise awareness for the rising global cancer epidemic, we encourage you to share this infographic with your friends via social media sites such as Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter and Google+.

World Cancer Day

To save lives we are striving to make cancer a higher priority on the Global Health and Development agenda. Join us and get the truth out about the far-reaching burden of cancer around the world. Thank you for supporting these lifesaving efforts that get us closer to a world with less cancer and more birthdays.

Get Educated // global.cancer.org

Test Your Knowledge // facebook.com/acsglobal

Dispel the Myths // worldcancerday.org

The American Cancer Society: The Official Sponsor Of Birthdays

Together with our millions of supporters, the American Cancer Society (ACS) saves lives and creates a world with less cancer and more birthdays by helping people stay well, helping people get well, by finding cures, and by fighting back.

© 2013 American Cancer Society, Inc. All rights reserved. The American Cancer Society is a qualified 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization and donations are tax-deductible to the full extent of the law.

Sources:
The Lancet. Volume 380, Issue 9859, Pp. 2095–2128. <thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(12)61728-0>
The Lancet Oncology. Volume 13, Issue 8, Pp. 790–801. <thelancet.com/journals/lanonc/article/PIIS1470-2045(12)70211-5>
World Economic Forum. The Global Economic Burden of Non-communicable Diseases. <weforum.org/EconomicsOfNCD>
World Health Organization. World Health Statistics 2011. <who.int/whosis/whostat/2011>
International Monetary Fund. World Economic Outlook. <www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2012/01>
J Natl Cancer Inst. The Role of Cancer Research in Noncommunicable Disease Control. <jnci.oxfordjournals.org>
International Narcotics Control Board. <incb.org>
Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation. Development assistance for health by health focus area. <healthmetricsandevaluation.org>