American Cancer Society 2012
Where Does Your Money Go? (2011)
Every day, the American Cancer Society is saving lives and creating a world with more birthdays, and we are extremely committed to our obligation to spend donor dollars wisely. So here’s a year-end glimpse at how your donations helped save lives – by the numbers. Data is from fiscal year 2011.
Fulfilling Our Mission
Overall, 72% of Society resources go to prevention programs, activities supporting people with cancer today, and efforts to find cures to end the disease tomorrow. The remaining 28% of resources are spent on supporting services such as management compensation, general infrastructure, and the cost of fundraising.
Resources allocated to Program Services include:
- $148 Million spent on Cancer Research
- $280 Million spent on Patient Support
- $150 Million spent on Prevention Information/Education
- $130 Million spent on Detection and Treatment
Resources allocated to Supporting Services include:
- $63 Million spent on Management and General Expenses
- $203 Million spent on Fundraising Expenses
Delivering Our Mission
We are always focused on ensuring we spend the funds entrusted to us in the most efficient manner so we are able to make the greatest impact as we fight for every birthday in every community.
- The American Cancer Society provided 250,000 free nights at our Hope Lodge facilities for patients and caregivers traveling for treatment.
- We awarded 290 research and training grants
- We gave 1 million free transportation services to cancer patients and their caregivers
- We supported about 90,000 cancer patients from diagnosis through treatment with our free Patient Navigator Program
- Provided free information and assistance around the clock to nearly 1 million people who called us for help and support
Progress In The Fight
Each day, 350 people who would have been lost to cancer are celebrating more birthdays, thanks in part to the progress we’ve been making against the disease since the early 1990s, when cancer death rates began to decline. From 1990 to 2008, thanks in part to the efforts of the American Cancer Society, more than 1,024,000 cancer deaths were avoided.
Support the American Cancer Society
When you support the American Cancer Society, you join millions of others who are committed to the fight to end cancer. You help save lives in your community and around the world. Thank you for supporting these lifesaving efforts that get us closer to a world with less cancer and more birthdays.
The American Cancer Society: The Official Sponsor of Birthdays
Together with our millions of supporters, the American Cancer Society (ACS) saves lives and creates a world with less cancer and more birthdays by helping people stay well, helping people get well, by finding cures, and by fighting back.
© 2013 American Cancer Society, Inc. All rights reserved. The American Cancer Society is a qualified 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization and donations are tax-deductible to the full extent of the law.