- Children Diagnosed With Cancer: Financial and Insurance Issues
- Covering the costs of cancer treatment
- Private health insurance options
- Types of private health plans for children
- Getting answers to insurance-related questions
- Keeping records of your child’s insurance and medical costs
- Handling a health insurance claim denial
- Keeping employer-sponsored health insurance coverage
- Government-funded health plans
- Who regulates insurance plans?
- Options for uninsured children
- What sources are available to help with treatment costs if my child doesn’t have insurance and there’s no public assistance available?
- Financial issues for families: Getting help with living expenses
- To learn more
Bracken JM. Children with Cancer: A Comprehensive Reference Guide for Parents. New York: Oxford University Press, 1986.
Definitions of Health Insurance Terms. Accessed at www.bls.gov/ncs/ebs/sp/healthterms.pdf. on September 19, 2013.
Harpham WS. Diagnosis Cancer: Your Guide through the First Few Months. New York: WW Norton & Co., 1992.
Hoffman B, editor. A Cancer Survivor’s Almanac: Charting Your Journey. Minneaopolis, MN: Chronimed Publishing, 1996.
Keene N. Childhood Leukemia: A Guide for Families, Friends, & Caregivers. Cambridge: O’Reilly & Associates, 1997.
Keene N, Prentice R. Your Child in the Hospital: A Practical Guide for Parents. Cambridge: O’Reilly & Associates, 1997.
Lansky SB. The high cost of cancer. The American Journal of Pediatric Hematology-Oncology. 1987;9:89-91.
Lozowski-Sullivan S. Know Before You Go: The Childhood Cancer Journey. Bethesda, MD: The Candlelighters Childhood Cancer Foundation, 1998.
Morra M, Potts E. Choices Fourth Edition. (Choices: the Most Complete Sourcebook for Cancer) 2003 New York: HarperCollins Publishers.
Stearns NM, Lauria MM, Hermann JF, Fogelberg PR, eds., Oncology Social Work: A Clinician’s Guide. Atlanta, GA, The American Cancer Society, Inc., 1993.
TRICARE Management Activity. Popular Topics. Accessed at www.tricare.mil on September 19, 2013.
TRICARE. Frequently Asked Questions. Accessed at www.tricare.mil/FAQs on January 9, 2014.
US Department of Health and Human Services. Families. Accessed at www.hhs.gov/children/ on January 9, 2014.
US Department of Health & Human Services. Accessed at www.healthcare.gov on January 9, 2014.
US Department of Health & Human Services. How do I appeal a health plan decision? Accessed at www.healthcare.gov/how-do-i-appeal-a-health-insurance-companys-decision/ on January 9, 2014..
US Department of Labor. Employee Benefits Security Administration. An Employee’s Guide to Health Benefits Under COBRA -- The Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act. Accessed at www.dol.gov/ebsa/publications/cobraemployee.html at January 9, 2014.
US Department of Veterans Affairs. CHAMPVA. Accessed at www.va.gov/hac/forbeneficiaries/champva/champva.asp on January 9, 2014.
Last Medical Review: 01/14/2014
Last Revised: 01/14/2014