Home Care Agencies

+ -Text Size


What do I do about quality of care complaints?

If you’ve selected your home health agency carefully, you’ll probably avoid most problems. If a problem or concern should come up, report it directly to the head administrator of the agency. You may also report a complaint to your state’s department of health, Medicare, or the local Better Business Bureau.

You can call your State Health Insurance Program to complain about quality of care and report possible fraud. You can ask them questions about your home health benefits under Medicare, Medicare supplemental, Medicaid, long-term care insurance, and some private insurance programs. You can also get a copy of your home health agency’s most recent inspection report, called a “survey report,” from your state office.

Every state has a State Health Insurance Program that provides this free information and help. This program is operated either by your State Office on Aging or by your state insurance department. Look in the blue pages of your phone book to find your state government office or check on the Web at www.eldercare.gov. (Enter your zip code to find resources near you.) Or you can call the Eldercare Locator at 1-800-677-1116 to learn how to reach your state office.

Last Medical Review: 05/08/2013
Last Revised: 05/08/2013