- Covering the costs of cancer treatment
- Private health insurance options
- Types of private health plans, and what you must pay
- Other things to know about health insurance
- Getting answers to insurance-related questions
- Keeping records of insurance and medical care costs
- When you have problems paying a medical bill
- Handling a claim denial
- Keeping employer-sponsored health insurance coverage
- COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus Budget and Reconciliation Act of 1986)
- The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA)
- The Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993
- The Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990
- Government-funded health plans
- Who regulates insurance plans?
- Financial issues: Getting help with living expenses
- Getting money from life insurance policies
- Other sources of financial help
- Disability benefits
- To learn more
American College Health Association. Affordable Care Act and Student Health Insurance. Accessed at http://www.acha.org/Topics/Affordable_Care_Act/FAQs_for_IndividualCoverageClassification.cfm on December 30, 2013.
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. Children’s Health Insurance Program. Accessed at www.medicaid.gov/Medicaid-CHIP-Program-Information/By-Topics/Childrens-Health-Insurance-Program-CHIP/Childrens-Health-Insurance-Program-CHIP.html on December 30, 2013.
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. The Center for Consumer Information & Insurance Oversight (CCIIO). Health Insurance Market Reforms. Accessed at www.cms.gov/CCIIO/Programs-and-Initiatives/Health-Insurance-Market-Reforms/index.html on December 30, 2013.
Coalition Against Insurance Fraud. Fake Health Plans Accessed at www.insurancefraud.org/scam-alerts-fake-health.htm on December 30, 2013.
US Department of Veterans Affairs. CHAMPVA. Accessed at www.va.gov/hac/forbeneficiaries/champva/champva.asp on December 30, 2013.
Hudson KL, Holohan MK, Collins FS. Keeping Pace with the Times – The Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008. New Eng J Med. 2008;358:2661-2663.
Health Insurance Resource Center. Accessed at www.healthinsurance.org on December 30, 2013.
Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation. Health Reform Implementation Timeline. Accessed at http://kff.org/interactive/implementation-timeline/ on December 30, 2013.
Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation. State Decisions on Health Insurance Exchanges and the Medicaid Expansion, as of June 20, 2013. Accessed at http://kff.org/health-reform/state-indicator/state-decisions-for-creating-health-insurance-exchanges-and-expanding-medicaid/ on December 30, 2013.
National Cancer Institute. Facing Forward: A Guide for Cancer Survivors. (NIH Publication No.94-2424, Revised July, 1994).
TRICARE Management Activity. Popular Topics. Accessed at www.tricare.mil on June 20, 2013.
US Department of Health and Human Services. What is Medicare:. Accessed at www.medicare.gov/sign-up-change-plans/decide-how-to-get-medicare/whats-medicare/what-is-medicare.html on December 30, 2013.
US Department of Health & Human Services. Understanding Insurance. Accessed at www.healthcare.gov on December 30, 2013.
US Department of Health and Human Services. Has Your Health Insurer Denied Payment for a Medical Service? You Have a Right to Appeal. Accessed at www.healthcare.gov/news/factsheets/2012/06/appeals06152012a.html on June 20, 2013. Content no longer available.
US Department of Health and Human Services. Appealing Health Plan Decisions. Accessed at http://www.hhs.gov/healthcare/rights/appeal/appealing-health-plan-decisions.html on December 30, 2013.
US Department of Health and Human Services. Can I buy a “catastrophic” plan? Accessed at https://www.healthcare.gov/can-i-buy-a-catastrophic-plan/ on December 30, 2013.
US Department of Agriculture. How to Get Food Help (brochure). November 2010. Accessed at www.fns.usda.gov/cga/publications/ConsumerBrochure.pdf on December 30, 2013.
Last Medical Review: 11/04/2014
Last Revised: 11/04/2014