Learn about informed consent, a process you go through before getting a cancer test or treatment to ensure you understand its purpose, benefits, and risks, as well as your other possible options. Click on the topics below to get started.
- Informed Consent
- What is informed consent and what does it involve?
- Why does the doctor need me to sign a consent form?
- What are the legal requirements of informed consent?
- How will I be given information for an informed consent?
- What questions should I ask during informed consent?
- Can I change my mind after I’ve signed the consent?
- What if I don’t want the treatment that is being offered?
- How is informed consent for a clinical trial or research study different from consent for standard treatment?
- How is shared decision-making different from informed consent?
- What if I want my doctor to make the decisions about my care, and I don’t want more information?
- How can I find out more?
- To learn more