CancerCare provides free professional support services to anyone affected by cancer. Funding depends on the sources of support they receive at any given time. If they do not currently have funding to assist, professional oncology social workers will work to refer patient to other financial assistance resources. Please check website for funding updates.
• COUNSELING: For cancer patients, caregivers and loved ones is available over the phone no matter where you live in the US. Offered on a short-term/limited basis. An initial intake screening is conducted to determine if patient qualifies for services.
• SUPPORT GROUPS: Connect with others online, telephone or face to face support groups for cancer patients, loved ones and people who have lost a loved one, led by oncology social workers.
• CONNECT EDUCATION WORKSHOPS: Led by leading experts in oncology who provide the most up-to-date information through live, one hour presentations over the telephone. Participants dial in to listen and can ask their own questions during a question and answer period. Pre-registration is required. Participants can register, learn about upcoming workshops and download past workshops on the website.
• SERVICES FOR CHILDREN: Designed especially for children with a parent, sibling or family member who has cancer. Oncology social workers offer practical support, education, and counseling to parents, and to children to help them understand the disease.
• CO-PAYMENT ASSISTANCE FOUNDATION (CCAF): Helps people afford insurance co-pays for chemotherapy medications, including both intravenous and oral chemotherapy drugs. Any charges for scans, radiation or symptom management medicines are not covered. Covered Diagnosis: Gastric (stomach) Cancer, Glioblastoma (brain), Metastatic Breast Cancer, Multiple Myeloma, Non Small Cell Lung Cancer and Pancreatic Cancer. Covered diagnoses may change visit (http://www.cancercarecopay.org).
• LUNGCANCER.ORG: A source of support and information for lung cancer patients and their loved ones. http://www.lungcancer.org
• HELP FOR CANCER CAREGIVERS: A tool that provides personalized information to help monitor, track and manage the challenges caregivers face. http://www.helpforcancercaregivers.org
• LIMITED FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE FOR TRANSPORTATION, HOME CARE and CHILD CARE (Funding depends on the sources of support they receive at any given time) for the following:
• Women and children with all diagnoses
• Men and women with pancreatic cancer
• Men and women with multiple myeloma (transportation only)
• Men and women with metastatic melanoma (transportation only)
• Pain and anti-nausea medication, oral hormonal medication, lymphedema supplies and durable medical equipment
• Women and men with breast cancer
For up to date info see website at http://www.cancercare.org/financial
- AVONCares: Assistance for breast cancer patients to help with home care, child care and transportation costs. A program in partnership with the Avon Foundation for Women.
- CancerCare Get You There: Help for transportation costs for people with pancreatic cancer, squamous cell lung cancer, stage 4 melanoma or women coping with metastatic stage 4 breast cancer.
- Door to Door Program: Provides grants to help multiple myeloma patients in active treatment with transportation costs such as gasoline, parking and tolls, and taxi, bus or train fare to and from their medical care.
- Linking A.R.M.S.: Assistance for breast cancer patients for hormonal and oral chemotherapy, pain and anti-nausea medication, child care, transportation, lymphedema care, and durable medical equipment which includes breast prostheses and lymphedema supplies but does not cover cranial prostheses.
- Touching Hearts Program - Limited financial assistance for women with cancer for home care, child care, transportation and pain medication. Funded by the Mary Kay Ash Charitable Foundation.
Other programs can be found on their website.
• Pillow Talk: Care package to help families communicate about cancer. Includes: CancerCare Fact Sheets, Comfort Pillow Activity Booklet - about customizing/designing the pillow. To order a Pillow Talk Care package use the online order form on their website at https://community.cancercare.org/pillowtalk
• WebMD Foundation: Limited financial assistance for home care, child care, transportation and pain medication for patients residing in San Diego and Imperial counties in California.