- When Cancer Comes Back: Cancer Recurrence
- What is cancer recurrence?
- What are the types of recurrence?
- Could I have done something to prevent the recurrence?
- Common questions about cancer recurrence
- When cancer recurs
- Treating recurrence
- What happens if treatment is no longer working?
- How do people cope emotionally when cancer recurs?
- “Is having a positive attitude important in fighting the cancer? My friends say it is, but I feel sad and discouraged.
- What about the “why” questions?
- Get support
- Treating cancer as a chronic illness
- To learn more
When Cancer Comes Back: Cancer Recurrence
You have completed your cancer treatment and are ready to move on with your life. You’ve gotten used to seeing your health care team less often and things are getting back to normal. Maybe you feel as if you are ready to go back to work full time, or become a more active member of your household. Or, you may still feel emotionally exhausted and tired from the treatments you had. Maybe you feel tired in body and spirit and need a long rest. You think you’ve just survived the biggest battle of your life, but now the doctor tells you it’s not over – you haven’t won the battle yet. The cancer has returned.
Last Medical Review: 05/13/2013
Last Revised: 06/19/2013