- When Cancer Comes Back: Cancer Recurrence
- What is cancer recurrence?
- What are the types of recurrence?
- What is the risk of recurrence?
- Could I have done something to prevent the recurrence?
- Common questions about cancer recurrence
- When cancer recurs
- Treating recurrence
- What happens if treatment is no longer working?
- How do people cope emotionally when cancer recurs?
- “Is having a positive attitude important in fighting the cancer? My friends say it is, but I feel sad and discouraged.”
- What about the “why” questions?
- Get support
- Treating cancer as a chronic illness
- To learn more
Baker, F, Denniston, M, Smith, T, West, M. Adult Cancer Survivors: How Are They Faring? Cancer. 2005;104:2565−2576.
Balboni TA, Vanderwerker LC, Block SD, et al. Religiousness and Spiritual Support Among Advanced Cancer Patients and Associations With End-of-Life Treatment Preferences and Quality of Life. J Clin Oncol. 2007;25:555−560.
Brussat F, Brussat MA. Spiritual Literacy: Reading the Sacred in Everyday Life. New York, NY; Simon and Shuster: 1996.
Hewitt, M, Greenfield, S, Stovall, E, eds. From Cancer Patient to Cancer Survivor: Lost in Transition. Washington, D.C. The National Academies Press; 2006.
Weissman, D. End of Life/Palliative Education Resource Center. Fast Fact and Concept #14: Palliative Chemotherapy. Accessed at www.mywhatever.com/cifwriter/library/eperc/fastfact/ff14.html on March 24, 2011.
Last Medical Review: 04/29/2011
Last Revised: 04/29/2011