- When Cancer Comes Back: Cancer Recurrence
- What is cancer recurrence?
- What are the types of recurrence?
- Could I have done something to prevent the recurrence?
- Common questions about cancer recurrence
- When cancer recurs
- Treating recurrence
- What happens if treatment is no longer working?
- How do people cope emotionally when cancer recurs?
- “Is having a positive attitude important in fighting the cancer? My friends say it is, but I feel sad and discouraged.
- What about the “why” questions?
- Get support
- Treating cancer as a chronic illness
- To learn more
Baker, F, Denniston, M, Smith, T, West, M. Adult Cancer Survivors: How Are They Faring? Cancer. 2005;104:2565-2576.
Balboni TA, Vanderwerker LC, Block SD, et al. Religiousness and Spiritual Support Among Advanced Cancer Patients and Associations With End-of-Life Treatment Preferences and Quality of Life. J Clin Oncol. 2007;25:555-560.
Borneman T. ONS: Understanding Spirituality and How It Can Be Used to Help Patients. April 25, 2013. Oncology Nursing Society. Accessed at www.cancernetwork.com/conference-reports/ons2013/content/article/10165/2139629 on May 13, 2013.
Brussat F, Brussat MA. Spiritual Literacy: Reading the Sacred in Everyday Life. New York, NY; Simon and Shuster: 1996.
Hewitt, M, Greenfield, S, Stovall, E, eds. From Cancer Patient to Cancer Survivor: Lost in Transition. Washington, D.C. The National Academies Press; 2006.
Kushi LH, Doyle C, McCullough M, et al. American Cancer Society guidelines on nutrition and physical activity for cancer prevention: Reducing the risk of cancer with healthy food choices and physical activity. CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians. 2012;62:242-274. Accessed at http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.3322/caac.20140/full on May 10, 2013.
Ness S, Kokal J, Fee-Schroeder K, et al. Concerns across the survivorship trajectory: results from a survey of cancer survivors. Oncol Nurs Forum. 2013;40(1):35-42.
Temel JS, Greer JA, Muzikansky A, Gallagher ER, et al. Early palliative care for patients with metastatic non-small-cell lung cancer. N Engl J Med. 2010;363(8):733-742.
Weissman, D. End of Life/Palliative Education Resource Center. Fast Fact and Concept #14: Palliative Chemotherapy. Accessed at www.mywhatever.com/cifwriter/library/eperc/fastfact/ff14.html on May 9, 2013.
Last Medical Review: 05/13/2013
Last Revised: 06/19/2013