How much does radiation treatment cost?
Treating cancer with radiation can cost a lot. Radiation treatment requires complex equipment and the services of many health care professionals. The exact cost of your radiation therapy will depend on the type and number of treatments you need.
Most health insurance plans, including Medicare Part B, cover radiation therapy, but you might still have to pay for some part of the treatment. Talk with your doctor’s office staff or the hospital business office about your health plan and how your treatment bills will be paid.
In some states, Medicaid (which makes health care services available to people with financial need) may help pay for treatments. Call your city or county social services office to find out if you qualify for Medicaid and if it covers radiation therapy.
If you need financial help, contact your hospital’s social service office or your American Cancer Society at 1-800-227-2345 to learn where you might get more help.
Last Medical Review: June 30, 2015 Last Revised: June 30, 2015
- What is radiation therapy? When is it used?
- How does radiation therapy work?
- Do the benefits of radiation therapy outweigh the risks and side effects?
- How much does radiation treatment cost?
- Who gives radiation treatments?
- Informed consent for radiation therapy
- How is radiation therapy given?
- External radiation therapy
- Internal radiation therapy (brachytherapy)
- Systemic radiation therapy
- Common side effects of radiation therapy
- Long-term side effects of radiation therapy
- Managing side effects of radiation treatment to certain parts of the body
- Side effects from radiation therapy to the head and neck
- Side effects from radiation therapy to the brain
- Side effects from radiation therapy to the breast
- Side effects from radiation therapy to the chest
- Side effects from radiation therapy to the stomach and abdomen
- Side effects from radiation therapy to the pelvis
- Taking care of yourself during radiation therapy
- Follow-up care after radiation therapy
- Radiation therapy glossary
- To learn more