Blood Transfusion and Donation
Transfusions of blood and blood products temporarily replace parts of the blood when a person's body can't make its own or has lost them from bleeding. Here, we describe blood and its components and why they are important. We also explain how blood is donated and transfused and how this relates to people with cancer. Click on the topics below to get started.
- What are transfusions?
- Why people with cancer might need blood transfusions
- Types of transfusions
- How blood transfusions are done
- Possible risks of blood transfusions
- Alternatives to blood transfusions
- Donating blood
- Blood donation by cancer survivors
- To learn more