Stem Cell Transplant (Peripheral Blood, Bone Marrow, and Cord Blood Transplants)
Here we offer a review of bone marrow transplants and other types of stem cell transplants that are used to treat cancer. We outline what a transplant is like for most people, and discuss some of the issues that come with it. Click on the topics below to get started.
- What we’ll cover here
- What are stem cells and why are they transplanted?
- Why would someone need a stem cell transplant?
- Weigh the risks before transplant
- Types of stem cell transplants for treating cancer
- Sources of stem cells for transplant
- Donor matching for allogeneic transplant
- The transplant process
- Problems that may come up soon after transplant
- Transplant problems that may show up later
- Other transplant issues
- What questions should I ask my doctor before transplant?
- What’s it like to donate stem cells?
- To learn more