- What we’ll cover here
- What are stem cells and why are they transplanted?
- When do people need stem cell transplants?
- Types of stem cell transplants for treating cancer
- Sources of stem cells for transplant
- Allogeneic transplant: The importance of a matched donor
- What’s it like to donate stem cells?
- Getting rid of cancer cells in autologous transplants
- The transplant process
- Problems that may come up shortly after transplant
- After-transplant problems that may show up later
- Other issues related to transplants
- What questions should I ask my doctor before transplant?
- To learn more
What we’ll cover here
This document reviews bone marrow transplants and different types of stem cell transplants that are used to treat cancer. We will outline what a transplant is like for most people, and some of the issues that come with it. We will also briefly cover what it’s like to donate stem cells.
Last Medical Review: 08/23/2012
Last Revised: 10/24/2012