- What we’ll cover here
- What are stem cells and why are they transplanted?
- Why would someone need a stem cell transplant?
- Weigh the risks before transplant
- Types of stem cell transplants for treating cancer
- Sources of stem cells for transplant
- Donor matching for allogeneic transplant
- The transplant process
- Problems that may come up soon after transplant
- Transplant problems that may show up later
- Other transplant issues
- What questions should I ask my doctor before transplant?
- What’s it like to donate stem cells?
- To learn more
What we’ll cover here
This document reviews bone marrow transplants and different types of stem cell transplants used to treat cancer. We’ll outline what stem cells do, why people need transplants, and what a transplant is like for most people. We’ll also cover some of the issues that come with transplants, and what it’s like to donate stem cells.
Last Medical Review: 10/02/2013
Last Revised: 10/02/2013