- A Guide to Chemotherapy
- Learning about chemotherapy treatment
- A checklist of questions to ask your doctor or nurse
- Should I get a second opinion?
- Where will I get chemo?
- How will the chemo be given to me?
- What are clinical trials?
- Can I take other medicines while I’m getting chemo?
- How will I know if the chemo is working?
- How do I give my permission for chemo treatment?
- Chemo safety
- Will I be able to work during chemo treatment?
- Chemo side effects
- Fatigue from chemo
- Hair loss from chemo
- Increased chance of bruising, bleeding, infection, and anemia after chemo
- Nausea and vomiting
- Other chemo side effects and tips to manage them
- Mouth, gum, tongue, and throat problems
- Nerve and muscle problems
- Skin and nail changes
- Urine changes and bladder and kidney problems
- Weight gain
- Other questions you may have about chemotherapy
- When to call your doctor about side effects from chemotherapy
- Sex, fertility, and chemo
- Thoughts, emotions, and chemo
- Paying for chemo treatment
- More information from your American Cancer Society
Can I take other medicines while I’m getting chemo?
Some medicines may alter the effects of your chemo. To be sure that your treatment works as well as it can, tell your doctor or nurse about any and all prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, herbs, and supplements you are taking.
- Make a list with the name of each drug, the dose, how often you take it, who prescribed it, and the reason you take it.
- Be sure to include the things you may not think of as medicines, even those you take every now and then. This includes aspirin, herbal and dietary supplements, vitamins, minerals, and all over-the-counter medicines.
Share this list with all of your doctors. Your cancer doctor (oncologist) will tell you if you should stop taking any of these medicines before starting chemo. After your treatments start, check with your oncologist before taking any new medicines or supplements and before stopping any you already take.
Last Medical Review: 06/09/2015
Last Revised: 06/09/2015