- Radiation Therapy Principles
- How does radiation work to treat cancer?
- Types of radiation used to treat cancer
- Goals of radiation therapy
- Who gives radiation treatments?
- How is radiation given?
- External beam radiation
- Internal radiation therapy (brachytherapy)
- Safety for the patient and family
- Possible side effects of radiation therapy
- Side effects of radiation to specific areas
- Second cancers
- Other general health concerns
- What’s new in radiation therapy?
- To learn more
How is radiation given?
Most people think of radiation therapy as coming from a machine outside of the body, but radiation therapy can be given in a number of ways. Sometimes radiation is given more than one way at the same time, or different types of radiation may be given one after the other. Some ways radiation can be given include:
Last Medical Review: 10/23/2013
Last Revised: 10/23/2013