- Radiation Therapy Principles
- How does radiation work to treat cancer?
- Types of radiation used to treat cancer
- Goals of radiation therapy
- Who gives radiation treatments?
- How is radiation given?
- External beam radiation
- Internal radiation therapy (brachytherapy)
- Safety for the patient and family
- Possible side effects of radiation therapy
- Side effects of radiation to specific areas
- Second cancers
- Other general health concerns
- What’s new in radiation therapy?
- To learn more
How is radiation given?
Most people think of radiation therapy as coming from a machine outside of the body, but radiation therapy can be given in a number of ways. Sometimes radiation is given more than one way at the same time, or different types of radiation may be given one after the other.
Last Medical Review: 09/07/2012
Last Revised: 12/18/2012