- Understanding Radiation Therapy: A Guide for Patients and Families
- What is radiation therapy? When is it used?
- How does radiation therapy work?
- Do the benefits outweigh the risks and side effects?
- How much does radiation treatment cost?
- Who gives radiation treatments?
- Informed consent
- How is radiation therapy given?
- External radiation therapy
- Internal radiation therapy (brachytherapy)
- Systemic radiation therapy
- Preventing and managing side effects
- Skin problems
- Hair loss
- Blood count changes
- Eating problems
- How will I feel emotionally?
- Will side effects limit my activity?
- Are there long-term side effects I should be concerned about?
- Managing side effects of treatment to certain parts of the body
- Radiation therapy to the head and neck
- Radiation therapy to the brain
- Radiation therapy to the breast and chest
- Radiation therapy to the stomach and abdomen
- Radiation therapy to the pelvis
- Follow-up care
- To learn more
American College of Radiology and the Radiological Society of North America. Brain Tumors. Accessed at www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=thera-brain&bhcp=1 on July 30, 2012.
Aoyama H, Shirato H, Tago M, et al. Stereotactic Radiosurgery Plus Whole-Brain Radiation Therapy vs Stereotactic Radiosurgery Alone for Treatment of Brain Metastases: A Randomized Controlled Trial. JAMA. 2006;295:2483-2491.
Brent R. Pregnancy and Radiation Exposure. Health Physics Society Web site. Accessed at hps.org/hpspublications/articles/pregnancyandradiationexposureinfosheet.html on July 30, 2012.
Halperin EC. Particle therapy and treatment of cancer. Lancet Oncol. 2006;7:676-685.
Halperin EC, Perez CA, Brady LW (Eds). Principles and Practice of Radiation Oncology, Fifth Ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2008.
Hogle WP. Cytoprotective Agents Used in the Treatment of Patients With Cancer. Sem in Onc Nsg. 2007;23(3):213-224.
Mundt AJ, Roeske JC, Chung TD, Weichselbaum RR. Radiation oncology. In: Kufe DW, Bast RC, Hait WN, et al, eds. Cancer Medicine. 7th ed. Hamilton, Ontario. BC: Decker Inc; 2006:517-536.
National Cancer Institute. FactSheet: Radiation Therapy for Cancer. Accessed at www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Therapy/radiation on July 27, 2012.
Sheets NC, Goldin GH, Meyer AM, et al. Intensity-modulated radiation therapy, proton therapy, or conformal radiation therapy and morbidity and disease control in localized prostate cancer. JAMA. 2012;307(15):1611-1620.
Last Medical Review: 01/24/2013
Last Revised: 01/24/2013