For Women Facing a Breast Biopsy
Some women who have an abnormal mammogram or a lump in the breast may need to get a breast biopsy, where a doctor removes a small piece of breast tissue for testing. Here we explain what a breast biopsy is, how it's done, and what it might find. Click on the topics below to get started.
- For Women Facing a Breast Biopsy
- Benign breast conditions: Not all lumps are cancer
- Diagnostic tests for breast conditions
- Types of biopsy procedures
- Questions to ask before having a biopsy
- Your breast biopsy results
- Biopsy and surgery: How they work together
- Waiting for the results
- You are not alone: Getting emotional support
- To learn more
- Appendix A: What is breast cancer?
- Appendix B: Guidelines for early detection of breast cancer
- Appendix C: Mammograms: Finding hidden breast cancer
- Appendix D: American Cancer Society support services for people facing cancer