For Women Facing a Breast Biopsy
- For Women Facing a Breast Biopsy
- Benign breast conditions: Not all lumps are cancer
- Diagnostic tests for breast conditions
- Types of biopsy procedures
- Questions to ask before having a biopsy
- Your breast biopsy results
- Biopsy and surgery: How they work together
- Waiting for the results
- You are not alone: Getting emotional support
- To learn more
- Appendix A: What is breast cancer?
- Appendix B: Guidelines for early detection of breast cancer
- Appendix C: Mammograms: Finding hidden breast cancer
- Appendix D: American Cancer Society support services for people facing cancer
Questions to ask before having a biopsy
Here are some questions you might want to ask your doctor before having a biopsy done:
- What type of biopsy do you recommend? Why?
- How does the size of my breast affect the procedure?
- Where will you do the biopsy?
- What exactly will you do?
- How long will it take?
- Will I be awake or asleep during the biopsy?
- Can I drive home afterward, or will I need someone to drive me?
- If the abnormal area cannot be felt, how will you find it?
- If you are using a wire to help find the abnormal area, will you check its placement by ultrasound or with a mammogram?
- Can you draw pictures showing me the size of the cut and the size of the tissue you will remove?
- Will there be a hole there? Will it show afterward?
- Will my breast have a different shape or look different afterward?
- Will you put a clip or marker in my breast?
- Where will the scar be? What will it look like?
- Will there be bruising or changes in color of the skin?
- Will I be sore? If so, how long will it last?
- When can I take off the bandage?
- When can I take a shower?
- Will there be stitches? Will they dissolve or do I need to come back to the office and have them removed?
- When can I go back to work? Will I be tired?
- Will my activities be limited? Can I lift things? Care for my children?
- How soon will I know the biopsy results?
- Should I call you or will you call me with the results?
- Will you or someone else explain the biopsy results to me?
Last Medical Review: 07/21/2014
Last Revised: 07/21/2014