What should you ask your doctor about tumor markers?
It’s important to talk openly with your cancer care team. Don’t be afraid to ask any question that’s on your mind, no matter how minor it might seem to you. Here are some questions you might ask. Be sure and add your own.
- Have you checked for any tumor markers, or do you plan to do so?
- Do I have any tumor markers that are higher than normal?
- Which tumor marker levels are high?
- What does this mean for me?
- Are there other health problems or medicines that could affect my tumor marker levels?
- Will my tumor marker level change my treatment?
- Will you use these markers to evaluate my treatment? If so, what will you watch for?
- How often will the tumor markers be checked?
Please contact us if you’d like to learn more about a certain type of cancer or the tumor markers linked to a certain type of cancer.
Last Medical Review: 10/30/2013
Last Revised: 10/30/2013