- General questions and answers about cancer
- What are the different types of cancer treatment?
- What to expect when someone you know has cancer
- Ways to respond when someone you know has cancer
- A list of basic do’s and don’ts when someone you know has cancer
- Offering support to someone with cancer
- What if the person’s cancer comes back?
- To learn more
What if the person’s cancer comes back?
In some cases, the cancer will come back (recur) and treatment will begin again. The person with cancer may or may not react in the same way they did the first time. Again, communication is key. Many people are quite upset when they learn the cancer is back. They may feel they don’t have the emotional or physical reserves to fight again. Others seem to accept a recurrence more easily. They may have expected it, or are simply ready, for whatever reasons, to fight again. By equipping yourself with the knowledge of how best to talk to the person with cancer, you can be most helpful to them.
Last Medical Review: 05/13/2014
Last Revised: 02/05/2015