When Someone You Work With Has Cancer
Finding out that someone you work with has cancer can be difficult. You may have many questions, both about cancer itself and about how you should talk and act around this person. You may wonder how your work situation will be affected by their diagnosis and treatment. Supervisors may wonder what they can do to best help the person while still getting the work done.
If you’re very close to the person with cancer, this can be a frightening and stressful time for you, too. Here, we will try to answer some of your questions about cancer and the workplace. We also share some ideas about how you can show your concern and offer your help to a co-worker with cancer.
- General questions and answers about cancer
- What are the different types of cancer treatment?
- What to expect when a co-worker has cancer
- Ways to respond when your co-worker has cancer
- Basic do’s and don’ts when your co-worker has cancer
- Offering support to a co-worker with cancer
- Are there resources available to help people cope with cancer in the workplace?
- What can supervisors do when an employee has cancer?
- What if my co-worker’s cancer comes back?
- To learn more