- General questions and answers about cancer
- What are the different types of cancer treatment?
- What to expect when a co-worker has cancer
- Ways to respond when your co-worker has cancer
- Basic do’s and don’ts when your co-worker has cancer
- Offering support to a co-worker with cancer
- Are there resources available to help people cope with cancer in the workplace?
- What can supervisors do when an employee has cancer?
- What if my co-worker’s cancer comes back?
- To learn more
What if my co-worker’s cancer comes back?
In some cases, the cancer will come back (recur) and treatment will begin again. The person with cancer may or may not react in the same way as the first time. Again, communication is key. Many people are quite upset when they learn the cancer is back. They may feel they don’t have the emotional or physical reserves to fight again. Others seem to accept a recurrence more easily. They may have expected it, or are simply ready, for whatever reasons, to fight again. By equipping yourself with the knowledge of how best to talk to the person with cancer, you can be most helpful to them.
Last Medical Review: 05/13/2014
Last Revised: 05/13/2014