- When Someone You Work With Has Cancer
- General questions and answers
- What are the different types of cancer treatment?
- What to expect
- Ways to respond
- A list of basic do’s and don’ts
- Offering support
- Are there resources available to help?
- What supervisors can do
- What about when treatment is over?
- What if the cancer returns?
- Your help is important
- To learn more
What if the cancer returns?
In some cases, the cancer will come back (recur) and treatment will begin again. The employee may or may not react in the same way as the first time. Again, communication is key. Many people are quite upset when they learn the cancer is back. They may feel they don’t have the emotional or physical reserves to fight again. Others seem to accept a recurrence more easily. They may have expected it, or are simply ready, for whatever reasons, to fight again. By equipping yourself with the knowledge of how best to talk to the person with cancer, you can be most helpful to them.
Last Medical Review: 05/21/2012
Last Revised: 01/25/2013