- General questions and answers about cancer
- What are the different types of cancer treatment?
- What to expect when a co-worker has cancer
- Ways to respond when your co-worker has cancer
- Basic do’s and don’ts when your co-worker has cancer
- Offering support to a co-worker with cancer
- Are there resources available to help people cope with cancer in the workplace?
- What can supervisors do when an employee has cancer?
- What if my co-worker’s cancer comes back?
- To learn more
American Cancer Society. Cancer Facts and Figures 2014. Atlanta, Ga: American Cancer Society. 2014.
Kroenke CH, Kubzansky LD, Schernhammer ES, Holmes MD, Kawachi I. Social networks, social support, and survival after breast cancer diagnosis. J Clin Oncol. 2006;24(7):1105-1111.
Lillberg K, Verkasalo PK, Kaprio J, et al. Stressful life events and risk of breast cancer in 10,808 women: a cohort study. Am J Epidemiol. 2003;157(5):415-423.
Mehnert A, de Boer A, Feuerstein M. Employment challenges for cancer survivors. Cancer. 20131;119 Suppl 11:2151-2159.
Moskowitz MC, Todd BL, Chen R, Feuerstein M. Function and friction at work: a multidimensional analysis of work outcomes in cancer survivors. J Cancer Surviv. 2014;8(2):173-182.
Nakaya N, Tsubono Y, Hosokawa T, et al. Personality and the risk of cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2003;95(11):799-805.
Nakaya N, Tsubono Y, Nishino Y. Personality and cancer survival: the Miyagi cohort study. Br J Cancer. 2005;92(11):2089-2094.
Sahin ZA, Tan M. Loneliness, depression, and social support of patients with cancer and their caregivers. Clin J Oncol Nurs. 2012;16(2):145-149.
Sultan S, Fisher DA, Voils CI, et al. Impact of functional support on health-related quality of life in patients with colorectal cancer. Cancer. 2004;101(12):2737-2743.
Wells M, Williams B, Firnigl D, et al. Supporting 'work-related goals' rather than 'return to work' after cancer? A systematic review and meta-synthesis of 25 qualitative studies. Psychooncology. 2013;22(6):1208-1219.
Yu M, Ferrucci LM, McCorkle R, et al. Employment experience of cancer survivors 2 years post-diagnosis in the Study of Cancer Survivors-I. J Cancer Surviv. 2010;6(2):210-218.
Last Medical Review: 05/13/2014
Last Revised: 05/13/2014