Text Alternative for Volunteer Impact Infographic
American Cancer Society volunteers: A united force against all cancers.
From prevention to diagnosis, from treatment to recovery, the American Cancer Society is there every step of the way. And the determination and passion of our volunteers help us save lives. Every day.
Every year, our volunteers help us provide crucial patient services to everyone touched by cancer.
• In 2014, cancer patients received more than 341,000 rides to and from treatment.
• In 2014, In 2014, volunteers helped 35,000 women with cancer learn how to manage the appearance-related side effects of treatment.
• Volunteers provided 10,000 one-on-one support services to those facing or living with breast cancer, in 2014.
• Our volunteers help us conduct groundbreaking research and fund pioneering scientists.
• We fund researchers with cutting-edge ideas early in their careers. 47 cancer researchers have won the Noble Prize.
• Thanks in part to our efforts, there has been a 23% decline in cancer dealths over the past 23 years. That's 1.7 million lives saved.
Since 1946, we've invested more than $4.3 billion in research grants. Thanks to our own research, and that of our funded researchers:
• We helped confirm cigarette smoking is linked to lung cancer.
• We helped confirm obesity is linked to multiple cancers.
• We helped develop drugs to treat leukemia and advanced breast cancer
• We helped show mammography is the most effective way to detect breast cancer early.
Thanks in part to the work of the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network ℠, our nonprofit, nonpartisan advocacy affiliate, and its volunteers:
• More than 4.6 million women in need have been helped since 1991 through the National Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program.
• 49% of the US population is covered by a comprehensive smoke-free law.
• 2.5 million volunteers are helping us to free the world from the pain and suffering of cancer.
From helping patients with everyday needs to leading community events to assisting with day-to-day office needs, our volunteers are the heart and soul of the American Cancer Society.
Thank you for making a difference!