Text Alternative for Rising Global Cancer Epidemic

American Cancer Society // Infographics // 2016

Rising Global Cancer Epidemic

Every year, more than 8 million people worldwide die from cancer. Many of these deaths could be avoided with increased governmental support and funding for prevention, detection, and treatment programs. Urgent action is needed to raise awareness about cancer, dispel myths and misconceptions, and develop practical strategies to address the disease.

The Global Burden

Annual Deaths

In 2012, 70% of all deaths worldwide were due to noncommunicable diseases (NCDs) like heart disease, lung disease, diabetes and cancer. 15% of all deaths worldwide, more than 8 million people, were due to cancer alone. The number of deaths worldwide from cancer dwarfs the number of global deaths from malaria and HIV/AIDS, as is projected to exceed 13 million by 2030.

New Cases & Their Cost

In 2010, new cases of cancer totaled 13.2 million, costing $290 billion worldwide. These numbers are projected to rise to $21.6 million new cancer cases in 2030. That’s comparable to every person in Australia getting cancer every year. Projected cancer-related health care costs skyrocket to $458 billion and costs to implement strategies to address common cancer risk factors in low- to middle-income countries will likely reach $2 billion per year by 2030.

Burden On The Developing World

New Cancer Cases

In 2012, there were 6.1 million new cancer cases in developed countries compared to 8 million new cancer cases in developing countries. The number of new cases in developing countries is predicted to rise to 13.1 million by 2030.

Inequities In Pain Treatment

84% of the morphine used globally, is administered in Australia, New Zealand, Canada, the United States, France, Germany, the United Kingdom, Spain, and Italy alone, leaving just 16% for the rest of the world.

Statistics show that 99.9% of cancer patients in developing countries are dying with untreated pain.

Advocate For Global Change

Insufficient Funding Despite Data

In 2014, the Development Assistance for Health was $35.9 billion, yet only 2% of that amount, or 610 million, was allocated for NCDs.

Spread The Word

To help raise awareness for the rising global cancer epidemic, we encourage you to share this infographic with your friends via social media sites such as Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter and Google+.

World Cancer Day

To help free the world from the pain and suffering of cancer, we are striving to make cancer a higher priority on the global health and development agenda. Join us and get the truth out about the far-reaching burden of cancer around the world. Together, we are a united force against all cancers - saving lives and celebrating life.

Get Educated // cancer.org/worldcancerday.

Test Your Knowledge // facebook.com/acsglobal

Dispel the Myths // worldcancerday.org

Learn More // canceratlas.cancer.org

The American Cancer Society

© 2013 American Cancer Society, Inc. No. 012796 Rev. 1/16 All rights reserved. The American Cancer Society is a qualified 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization and donations are tax-deductible to the full extent of the law.

Visit cancer.org/globalburden to learn more, view sources, and share.


GLOBOCAN 2012, globocan.iarc.fr
Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME). GBD Compare. Seattle, WA: IHME, University of Washington, 2015. Available from http://vizhub.healthdata.org/gbd-compare.
World Health Organization. Scaling Up Action Against NCDs: How Much Will It Cost? who.int/nmh/publications/cost_of_inaction/en/.
World Economic Forum. The Global Economic Burden of Non-communicable Diseases. weforum.org/reports/global-economic-burden-non-communicable-diseases.
Ferlay, J., et al. (2010). "Estimates of worldwide burden of cancer in 2008: GLOBOCAN 2008." International Journal of Cancer.
Based on 2013 consumption data provided by the International Narcotics Control Board.
Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME). Financing Global Health Visualization. Seattle, WA: IHME, University of Washington, 2015. Available from http://vizhub.healthdata.org/fgh/.