American Cancer Society B. Thomas Golisano Hope Lodge Hospitality House—
AddressView Map1120 Goodman Street South , Rochester, NY 14620 Phone: 800-227-2345 or 585-224-4900
Stories & Comments
Hope Lodge: A Home Away From Home
Larry Perini knew he needed cutting edge treatment when lung cancer was discovered during a recent heart operation. But when the cancer treatment center that could save his life was three hours away, Perini turned to Hope Lodge for help.
For 80-year-old Perini, a cashier at a local college, he worried about transportation and housing since he lives in Utica and spent two weeks receiving outpatient treatment in Rochester. Commuting each day would cost too much in gas, and he could not afford a motel. "We were looking at a minimum of $60 a day for 14 days," he said. "Without Hope Lodge I would have had to take out a loan to pay for a motel."
When health care workers told him about the American Cancer Society's Hope Lodge in Rochester, his mind eased, knowing his financial burden would be far less. The Society was able to provide weeks of lodging and transportation to and from treatment, all for free. "Hope Lodge was my home away from home for those two weeks," he said. "What otherwise may have been two very difficult, isolating, scary weeks, were two very pleasant, comfortable, and reassuring weeks."
With private rooms, a dining area, kitchen, lounge, library, televisions, and computers, Larry and his wife could relax and focus on him getting better, without worrying about how they'd pay for their lodging, or get to treatment.
Larry Perini's situation is not unique. Many cancer patients are forced to go into debt, or take their second or third choice of treatment simply because the cost of travel is too great. American Cancer Society Hope Lodges remove that from the equation, allowing patients to focus on the most important thing, getting better.
The Lodges make the cancer treatment process easier by providing a supportive, homelike environment while reducing the financial burden of necessary, multiple-night stays for cancer treatment. The Hope Lodge offers accommodations for stays as short as a few days or as long as a patient is in active treatment. They are run by trained American Cancer Society staff and supported through a network of volunteers, often people who understand the cancer experience.
Guest & Visitor Comments
- "I don't know what we would have done if we didn't have the Hope Lodge Rochester while my husband was receiving cancer treatment."
- "The Hope Lodge Rochester is a place where you don't feel alone during an uncertain time."
- "The Lodge is truly a home away from home."
- "Hope Lodge is a wonderful place to be in when you're dealing with a disease such as cancer. It has pleasant surroundings and great people who are willing to help one another."
- "Hope Lodge - you indeed are one stay that certainly has been so appreciated and have made worries less in many ways."
- "What an oasis. The Hope Lodge is the perfect name."
- "Thank you for a chance to make my treatment possible."
- "I want to thank you and all the staff at Hope Lodge for providing such a beautiful place for cancer patients and their loved ones to stay while undergoing treatment."
Residency at a Hope Lodge facility is a courtesy extended at the sole discretion of American Cancer Society. All individuals who meet the Hope Lodge eligibility requirements will be welcomed regardless of race, creed, citizenship, physical disability, gender, color, ethnic heritage, veteran status, economic status, or sexual orientation. For admissions information, please select a Hope Lodge location.