American Cancer Society Calorie Counter
Being at a healthy weight has a big impact on your health. The tool below can help you get there – and stay there. Fill in your information and you’ll get an estimate of how many calories you need to maintain your current weight. If you need to lose weight, take in fewer calories than you use through exercise and your everyday activities.
This tool is designed for healthy adults over age 19. See our section Nutrition for People with Cancer to find information on eating well during and after cancer treatment.
To Lose Weight
To lose 1 pound a week, you need to cut 500 calories per day. You can do this by eating less, exercising more, or both. Try these strategies:
- Cut 250 calories from your daily diet. That’s about one 20-ounce regular soda.
- Burn an extra 250 calories through physical activity. For a 150-lb person, that’s about 30 minutes of singles tennis or 45 minutes of brisk walking.
More Interactive Tools
Use our other interactive tools to stay healthy:
- Get an estimate of the Calories Burned During Exercise and in daily activities.
- See if you're at a healthy weight with our BMI Calculator.
- Use our Target Heart Rate Calculator. to get the most out of your workout.